"We shape our buildings; thereafter they shape us." - Winston Churchill
The building we know today as Palazzo Reale is a large aristocratic residence which has been splendidly decorated and added to over the years, not only by the Savoy dynasty in the 19th Century but also by two great Genoese dynasties: the Balbis (who built it between 1643 and 1650) and the Durazzos (who enlarged it between the end of the 17th and beginning of the 18th Century).
The palace is probably the largest 17th/18th-century architectural complex in Genoa to have retained its original interiors, both in terms of fixed (frescoes and stuccoes) and movable (paintings, sculptures, furnishings and fittings) decoration.
Within Palazzo Reale